WhatsApp users on Android can now transfer their chats and other data to Apple’s iPhone. This is the most requested feature.
There is finally an easy way to transfer your WhatsApp data between Android and iOS.
The good news is for Android owners who are looking to upgrade to an iPhone, but have concerns about how to preserve their WhatsApp data. WhatsApp and Apple announced that they will allow data to be transferred from Android’s messaging app to iOS. This option will be available in WhatsApp’s beta. It will take approximately a week for all users to receive the beta version. Last year, Google announced that users could transfer chats between iOS and Android.
Mark Zuckerberg, Meta CEO, also released a statement. “We are adding WhatsApp the ability to securely switch between smartphones and transfer your chat history and photos between Android and iPhone. All this while keeping end-to-end encrypted. This feature is highly requested. He said that we launched the ability to switch between iPhone->Android last summer, and are now adding Android->iPhone.”
Indian users will appreciate the feature, given how popular WhatsApp around the world is with more than million of users. When switching from Android to iOS, the biggest worry for Android users is about saving WhatsApp data. Users relied on many dubious third-party applications, which often failed to do the job as promised. The WhatsApp data on Android is backed-up to Google Drive. On iOS, it is backed to the iCloud. There is no compatibility between them.
Apple’s Move to iOS App, available on Google Play Store, will allow users to transfer data. This option will be available to users when they set up a new iPhone with the app. Android users must be running Android 5.0 or higher. Apple iOS users must be running iOS 15.5 or higher.
When a user clicks on WhatsApp data in the app, their data will be packaged in an iOS-compatible format. This data will be encrypted and Apple and WhatsApp will not have access to it. When a user launches WhatsApp on an iPhone for the first times, it will detect and decrypt the data. All previous chats will also be restored after the data has been moved. This data includes chat history, photos, videos, and other WhatsApp information.
WhatsApp data transfer Android iOS: This is how it works according to the FAQ page
- Move to iOS is an Android app that you can install on your phone. On your new device, make sure that you have WhatsApp iOS version 18.104.22.168 installed. For Android, you must have the WhatsApp version 22.214.171.124.
- Your new phone will use the same number as your old one. Your iPhone must be either factory new or factory reset.
- WhatsApp states that both devices must be connected to the same Wi-Fi and need to have a source of power. The Android device must be connected to an iPhone’s hotspot.
- Next, the user will need to open the “Move to iOS” app on Android. Follow the screen instructions.
- Choose WhatsApp from the Transfer Data screen. Wait for WhatsApp to export the data. Once the data has been processed, you’ll be signed in to your Android phone.
- Tap Next to return the Move to iOS app.
- Tap Continue to transfer data from your Android smartphone to your iPhone. Wait for Move to iOS to confirm that the transfer is complete.
- Install the latest version WhatsApp on your iPhone. Log in to the app with the same number.
- When prompted, tap Start and let the process finish. After activating your device, you will see your chats ready for you.
WhatsApp says that the data transferred doesn’t go into cloud storage due to the migration unless the user creates an iCloud back-up. The app also states that your Android phone will still be able to store your data, even if you delete WhatsApp or wipe it.
Although users can transfer personal messages, peer-to-peer payments messages and call history cannot be transferred. Apple’s Move to iOS app allows users to transfer all their Android apps to iOS. Users can get the free apps from Android back when they set-up their new iPhones. After setup, the apps will appear on the home screen. However, users will need to tap on them in order to download them.
The WhatsApp portability feature can only be used if you’re setting up a new iPhone with the Move to iOS app. If you already have an iPhone, the WhatsApp portability feature is not available. You can’t just transfer your data to an older Android or go back to old WhatsApp data. This can only be done by wiping your iPhone clean and setting it up as a brand new device.